Wednesday, January 05, 2005

2 Weeks Under My Belt

I have found out that this web journal can sometimes be a vent for my frustration when I don't have someone (or something) to vent to. At present I am very frustrated about our living arrangements. 2 more guys showed up today at a moments notice and everything was thrown in disarray. In all honesty I am a lil tired of hearing how things use to be and I'm lucky this and should've been here last year. CRAP that's then this is now and a manager, no excuse me, a CAPABLE manager should lead by example. What I have found out through my marriage is that just because I am the husband doesn't make me the man nor the leader. I have to lead by example before I can gain any kinda of respect. And only when I have shown the ability to lead intelligently will people be willing to follow knowing that their best interest is mine as well.

I have had my fair share of bad managers especially those that try to micro manage before they have the manage part down. See I remember my second manager at Best Buy and I use to think he was too hard on me and I thought he was prejudice. He would always have me do the hardest work and he would have me do jobs that should have been done by his immediate supervisor. Well my hours were picking up I ever had more hours than the supervisor and I was a part time employee. The work wasn't to difficult, but if I didn't do something the way he wanted it done, even if I thought of a better way to do it, he would get upset.

He turned out to be one of the best managers I EVER had in my life and I tell you why. I finally got tired of being his example so I kinda got an attitude one day and asked why he always made me do everything, there where plenty of other guys just standing around doing nothing. Again I had a bit of an attitude when I said this so he pulled me to the back and let me have it. He told me that he new I was young and immature and there was a reason why he relied on me more than all of the other guys including his next in command. I asked him if he had a problem with me because I was black (because he was white) and if that was the problem. He explained that even though I was immature and a little lazy I had a good head on my shoulders, I was smart, and when he asked me to do something he knew it was in very capable hands. Then he went on to explain that if he asked me to do something and I didn't do it right then he would come down on me, because I was better than that.

suffice to say from that day forward we got much closer and I worked my butt off for him, because I knew I was his #1 employee even if I wasn't getting the pay. He was also a man that would lead by example, he would never ask you to do something because it was beneath him or because he was to good for the job (unlike my previous manager before he took over). I was so caught up in the whole black white think that I didn't even realize that He relied on me, because I was good at what I did. Didn't matter if it was sweeping, mopping, getting a TV down from the stock or selling somebody a VCR I was the one to go to.

Which reminds me, one day I was selling a TV to and older couple. I believe he was a little apprehensive about dealing with me (because I was black) and they kinda avoided me a bit. So when all the other associates paid them no attention I moved in and let loose. The TV I showed them was out of stock and they decided to take the floor model (I did some heavy sellin). Well I didn't have any stock handlers to help me get the TV down and everybody else was worthless so I myself took a 35 inch TV, weighing in at about 135 pounds, off of a 3 and half foot shelf onto a sled similar to the ones at Sams. With the hard part done and not a scratch or a dent in the process I took the customer up to the register. Then I took it to the customers car and picked it up by myself again and loaded it in the back of their vehicle. After that I watched as 2, I say again 2, stock handlers scratch the TV while pushing it further in the customers car. Oh man was I hot, oh well that's my flash back for today. Anyway a lesson learned is just that...

I would rather have loved and lost
Than to have never loved at all
But I am fortunate to be loved and return love
and because of that I will never be lost

Love someone today and in return be loved for a lifetime

K3

No comments: