Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Day 5 (Day 2 in Kuwait City)

OK I got about 3-4 hours of sleep and I in no way feel 100%, but Im ready for the day. I took a tour Yesterday in Amsterdam and didn't talk about it. Well I was tired as I have ever been in a long while, but I didn't want to miss out on the city. So I thought the best thing to do was a bus tour, you know keep warm see all the sights while someone else drives. Well first off the land is very beautiful and the houses are very home like, not flashy like we Americans are use to. Not to say they didn't have a hefty price on them, they just weren't overdone.

So out first stop was at a farm that made cheese and clogs. Which was kinda interesting, because come to find out people started making clogs because they couldn't afford shoes, so they made their own. The farm was family owned and run since the beginning many years ago, just commericalized a bit now (gift shop). Now the clogs have a deeper meaning to the people now or did anyway, but when a man is going to marry he has to hand craft a pair of clogs, with their family design, for his future wife. Well anyway they had this smoked cheese that we got to try and it was the best. It kinda tasted like smoke sausage, because it is prepared the same way.

Next we drove around downtown and went thru small streets and saw a few sights, but what was more a mazing to me was how people on bikes shared the roads with the cars. I mean they come up to the stop lights right next to us ride in the middle of the street and they even have their own 4 story parking garage for BICYCLES. The tour guide said that there were over 4000 bikes on this garage and it looked like it too. I took a picture or 2, because I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. And there were more bikes in this city than there were cars or even people... The tour guide said that there were 600,000 bikes in the city with a population of 700,000 plus. And every year there are 800,000 bikes stolen. I think he was joking, but I couldn't tell...

So lastly we got to go window shopping and boy was it a sight to see. I had read about it even seen it on TV, but nothing compares to actually seeing it in person. The thing that was really interesting was how the locals just ride their bikes and drive around it like it wasn't there. I didn't see anything I really wanted, besides I have all Im gonna buy for the rest of my life lol just messin.

To my lovely wife I love you and look forward to talkin to you again today.

My heart is sorrow without you.
Which is all the more reason for me to come home.
And definitely something I look forward to.

I love you Erica

K3

No comments: