Wednesday, February 09, 2005

7 Weeks in, 6 Out

Current Temperature: 42 degrees F.
Local Time: 9:56pm

State of Mind: Well I have sensitive readers so I will skip that part.

The only thing right now keeping me from going insane is my favorite local programs back in the States. Prayer can on do so much for your mental state and it isn't actually what you call entertaining. Not that I expect it to, but I will carry on with prayer till my last breath. None the less that still does nothing for my current state of stir crazy. I am looking forward to playing ball this coming Sunday, but man time seems to go slow when you are waiting for something. Well all I can do is wait.

J (the second brother to show up) has been to the green zone more times than I can count and he has been here for only a month. He has also made several trips north just 17 kilometers short of the IRAN border. Just yesterday he returned from his last trip and informed us of what he saw. He was at a check-point waiting to go thru when a wedding party just in front of them started shooting. You know like in the old traditions of the Wild West. Not uncommon to do for celebratory reasons, but not exactly a smart choice given the circumstances, and current locale. Well the check point was one of the NEW IRAQ ARMY and rather than wait to see what the situation was they shot on the wedding party. Well the wedding party started to shoot back for fear of their own lives.

The whole time J is right behind them, but it wasn't long before our security force took action (and that is to get the heck out of the way). They pulled into on-coming traffic and let loose the gas flow. J said he looked back and saw the wedding party just lying there most likely dead. From what I am told there wasn't any direct fire on them, but can you imagine the sight of seeing someone die just because they were celebrating. I did a search online and couldn't find any details of the story, I wouldn't doubt if it went unreported. This is the New Wild West incarnate and anything at any time can happen.

I saw a woman in full business dress attire a few weeks back with a shoulder holster and what looked like a Nine mil Beretta. I mean dress shoes long skirt, and tacky blouse to match. Just the other day when we went to get the other brother the manager grabbed his gun and handed it to me while he drove. I might be inclined to write a book when I leave here even though my time her thus far has been relatively safe and boring. But that is a good thing and in no way a complaint. If watching someone get shot, or participating in a gunfight is exciting I can just wait for the movie, or the game. Either way I wish not to see the excitement first hand that has been spoken of.

May the Almighty Protect those that Seek HIM.

K3

No comments: