Saturday, May 14, 2005

Saturday the 14th

Well for most of you it is still Friday, but for me it is well into Saturday. I thought I had to go to the city to day, but I was mistaken. I don't think I will have to go for another week or so. I'm actually glad I don't have to go today, because there has been bombs going off all morning. Not that I fear going out, but I just the same stay here. I haven't heard attacks like this since I got here. Things calmed down a lot to the point there would be days without attacks (none that we could hear anyway). Today is not that day at all. It's like being here for the first time all over again. Nothing is close, but it just worries me what this may be leading up to. The insurgent attacks have gotten crazy lately with their aim not toward military or police, but the Iraqi public. They don't care who they kill to stir up the pot that they have, but in the end I think it will be their downfall. It was one thing when the insurgents and the Iraqis didn't care for us being here, but now with their attacks shifting more toward the populous, the local focus is no longer on the U.S.

I read yesterday online that a military advisor stated that the removal of an insurgency can take anywhere from 2-3 years minimum and on up to 9 years. I think it was a bunch of bull just to say hey we will have a presence in Iraq for a long time rather than just coming out and saying just that's the plan anyway. Well I don't plan on being apart of that rebuild effort so count me out of the 2-3 year bit. Hell you'll be lucky to keep me here after my next break they way things are going. It will cut short my plans, but things have gotten really unstable. I don't mean the city that is the same turbulent one day calm the next, no what I mean is this working environment is being less and less healthy. I wouldn't mind it as much if there were people in charge than I thought cared about the well being of the crew. Well I'm going to try and get some rest I change my shift here soon to mid's. So I want to get acclimated to the hours of sleep. Talk to ya later, Love and Peace.

One

K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is my first opportunity to look at the blog today. I have heard of the increase in insurgent activities.. On the news here they say that 400 people have died already this month. Of course, you knew you were going to a war zone, but, I agree with you that having an unstable living environment creates a different situation. So, whatever you decide, or whenever you decide, concerning the job there you know you've accomplished some good work in that you did your job well...I won't be back on line until Monday. I guess you will be on your new shift by then. We always say to "be safe" and I know you are. But, it never hurts to keep those reminders coming....
Luv you, Aunt Ka