Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mission North, Day 2, July 6th 2005

We got up at around 8:30 after 2 of our roommates began transporting the SAW's to the car awaiting them in the parking lot. I asked the sarge if he needed any help carrying them to the car and he accepted. So I carried 2 or 3 to the car and then he thanked me and I went back to our lovely accommodations and grabbed my toiletries and went to wash up. After doing so I went to see about getting a flight up to our intended destination. I was informed that the flight this morning (which was already booked) was the only one they had scheduled out today, but that we could make arrangements to take another helo to Tal Afar and then to Al Kasik. The flight wasn't scheduled to leave till around 14:00 so we had some time to kill. I contacted Ray and informed him of our travel plans and told him I would update him when I knew something new.

The Major and Sarge contacted their office as well and they in return called the local contact for them here and scheduled someone to pick us up so we wouldn't have to sit there all day. A young soldier came in a brand new SUV (still had the plastic on the seats) and we threw our things in the back and jumped in. It was a short ride and the scenery was a bit more pleasing that Baghdad, and not as hot as well. There were lots of old trees with lush green leaves and even grass. Not much of that in Baghdad, as a matter of fact I don't think there is any. So our driver was a young girl petite in size, but looked very determined. She didn't talk much other than to answer a few of our questions. We got to the office and left our things in the vehicle and went inside.

There we met (yet another)an Army first sergeant, a Marine gunnery sergeant and a young airmen (woman). I was only there as an observer so the Major and Master Sarge went into the the gunnery sarge's office and talked for a bit. So I sat there and the first sergeant and the airman would pass jabs. The office was very laid back and the camaraderie was very pleasant to see, not all the formality like I was use to seeing in Baghdad. I had my weapon with me and the first sergeant asked why I (a civilian) was carrying a weapon, where was I going with that thing. Now mind you this is the same place where a suicide bomber came into the US DFAC and killed 22 people including 14 U.S. soldiers and wounded 69 others on the 21st of December just one day before I arrived in Iraq. The attack was considered the deadliest breach of security at a U.S. military base since the Iraq war began. It was later determined that the individual that committed the crime worked in the DFAC for four months before committing the shameful attack. Of course my reason for carrying my weapon had nothing to do with that, I told him that I was going to Al Kasik and his eyes widened and he said good luck.

So I began to converse with the airmen and come to find out Mosul was kinda the hide out spot. Since the attack in December they cracked down in the city and anything that happens around that area is generally far from the city center. The airmen I spoke to was only 20 years old and had been in the service for 2 years now. The airforce deployment is only 4 months unlike the Army's 1 year (and in some cases 18 months or even 2 one year terms). She had a daughter and was stationed in Japan where by her definition she enjoyed a much simpler life. She talked about how her mother called or emailed all the time about attacks that she heard on the news (SOUND FAMILIAR...?!).

She went on to say that a lot of the soldiers there don't even carry a weapon when moving around in the city. There were numerous local restaurants with Iraqi cuisine and even a food court where they served Tex Mex, Burgers, Pizza and something else that escapes me at the moment. They mentioned going to Dahok which is a Turkish/Kurd city and even there they don't carry their weapons. She mentioned that the people there love to see the American Army and welcome them all over the city. Which in a sense is understandable, because if anyone suffered the wrath of Saddam's regime more it was the Kurds. They loved having us in their country and getting rid of Saddam. She went on to talk about how she has a fellow airmen (woman) that was suppose to come with her, but was at the last minute sent to Baghdad. Her fellow airmen tells her all the time how she hates it there and she can't wait to leave. Fortunately for her she only has 2 months left in Iraq of her 4 month stint.

Soon there after the Major came out and mentioned going to lunch with Gunny (the Marine gunnery sergeant). We loaded up the car and went to the "NEW" DFAC which was built after the incident previously mentioned. We parked in the ever so familiar gravel parking lot and walked to the ever so familiar aluminum covered DFAC, but once inside there was nothing familiar about it. This was by far the nicest dining area I have been to in Iraq. Actually even better than some restaurants I have been to back home. They had the main line, a fry cook, a chicken shack, the sandwich bar, salad bar, snack bar, and so on and so on. The food was good the environment was just as pleasing and they even have a memorial for those that lost their lives in the bombing.

After our surprisingly good meal we went back to the office where we decided to take a look around this fine area. They had very nice shops, but nothing unusual just the norm for Iraq until we got to the Rug shop. Now they sell Persian Rugs at just about every single base in Iraq, but this particular shop was a little different. He had the China made clothes that you see at most shops, but he had item such as Nike, Fubu, Abercrombie, Dickie, and the list goes on. Not only did they have the rugs, but they would even pack and ship it home for you. Well the salesman was from turkey, but his english was top notch, not to mention that he also spoke half a dozen other languages as well. He sold me on a rug and I had it sent home, I will not divulge the cost associated with this item, but if you do a search on eBay for silk Persian rug you will see for your self. They served us some tea while the Sarge haggled over the price of a t-shirt. The Major decided he wanted to look at the rugs as well, and boy did he get overwhelmed. The guy that sold me my rug hammered him, I mean this guy could sell life insurance to the dead (LOL). The Major resisted (barely) and we departed to await our helo.

We sat there for a good half hour and while I waited I went to look at the shops that were right in from of the passenger waiting area. There was a shop that would make suits with the shirt, tie and handkerchief for $250. Excellent quality of fabric from what I could tell and the shirt was 100% Turkish silk (they sure do love their silk). There were a few other shops, but I didn't have the time to see them all, so I made a mental note to walk around again on my return trip.

The helo came over the horizon and did it's usual round about to our location. There were more people here than they had spots for, but luckily I was with the Major and I got on the flight, otherwise I would have been stuck in Mosul (not that it was a bad thing) for yet another day or so. When there are more people than can fit on a flight the crew chief is the one that ultimately decides who gets on the bird. Generally they will bump civilians for military personnel especially if there is rank around. Since I was with the major I didn't get the bump, but someone did that for sure. We traveled to Dahok and I was almost amazed at what I saw. There was no sign of bombed out buildings or roads, no trash all over the streets and near housing. Not only that but they had a very well kept highway system, it reminded me of Jordan when I saw it from the helicopter. I was amazed that I was still in Iraq. The city seemed untouched by all that was happening around the area. The pilot began his descent and I started to wonder where in GOD's name was he going to land that thing. They banked to the right a bit and dropped down right in a parking lot just as if he were parking a car, the skill involved was just too much for words. We dropped off a few people and just as easily as we touched down we were in the air just seconds later.

We flew for about 15 minutes before landing again in Tal Afar. We departed the helo and went to see about getting on the next flight to Al Kasik. Unfortunately we were on the last flight out of Tal Afar so it seemed as though we were going to be stuck again. A young army sergeant helped us get to the necessary personnel about getting some type of transportation to Tal Afar. Now what I didn't mention earlier was they had originally discussed getting a convoy to pick us up and take us there. Now convoys are target magnets they might as well have a big target sign on them, because it will never fail, they will be shot at. Fortunately the powers that be decided that it was too late and too dangerous for us to take a convoy and to just stay the night and fly out n the morning. Well they didn't have the luxurious accommodations like our last stop, this time we were fortunate enough to stay in a tent with no power or cooling units. This wasn't too much of a problem, since we were further north it was a bit cooler and there was a nice breeze coming in (ya right).

The Major, Sarge, and myself dropped our things off at the Ritz and decided to head to chow. By this time it was close to 7pm and there wasn't anything around other than desert and a few hills. After chow since we had so much time on our hands I decided to go to the TMC (Medical facilities) and have my eye looked at. I had pretty much ignored it for the most part until we got to Tal Afar. A private signed me in and had me sit on the cot while he got some saline solution. Then he tried to flush it out about 2 or 3 times, but I could still feel poking at me. A few other personnel came in, and one apparently was the lead medical technician, because he started to point out some of the private's mistakes and eventually took over. He got a look at it and decided to take it out with a q-tip dipped in saline. At first he was having me hold my eye open and it was hard to do with someone poking it with a stick (basically). So then he put a numbing agent in my eye and continued and I couldn't feel a thing. It was able to get a portion of it out, but didn't want to try any further and possibly damage my eye. He said that he was going to medivac me back to Mosul so they could take care of it. I informed him of my flight out at 5:30 and he said you going to have to come back this is too serious. He was ready to put me on a bird that night and take me back, but there was something more pressing going on at that moment. He gave me some drops and told me to come back at 7am so he could have another look then he would get me to Mosul within 2 hours.

I went back to the tent and told the Major about them wanting to medivac me back to Mosul (which I just came from). I grabbed my gear and headed to the showers for a much needed scrub down. On the way there I say the Sarge and I told him about them wanting to medivac me in the morning. I called Ray (manager of the year) and told him about my eye and the medics decision to evac me back to Mosul in the morning which would push the job I had to do even further back. So he actually very understanding and didn't mention the job at all, but not that I cared one way or the other. I showered headed back to the Ritz and turned on my MP3 player and just waited for the day to fade to black.

Tomorrow or whenever I get to it... Al Kasik..

One
K

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooooo, our family is not so different from the rest of the world...Only half way through the reading here....I'll wait for another break of 60min (lol) to complete.....

Luv youse!

Theresa said...

A day in the life of you: interesting.
... Do they have silk shoes at those shops? (lol)

K-Dub said...

Momma - Ya it is good to see some grass for once, desert gets old real quick. I really want to check out Dahok I hear nothing but good things about that place.

Aunt Ka - I'll talk to you later...

Cini - We have a couple of new guys complaining about working too much here (not implying you are just made me think about it), I am so glad I am leaving tomorrow...

Theresa - Yes even I find it interesting and a joy despite my complaints at times. I will have to get back with you on the shoes. lol